About this image
The Market Place at Ilkeston crowded with onlookers on the occasion of a meet of Lord Harrington's foxhounds, although the dogs themselves are barely discernible in the middle of the mêlée. The date is pre-1910 because in that year St Mary's Church in the background was rebuilt with an extended nave and the tower was repositioned nearer the road. Lord Harrington was Charles Augustus Stanhope, 8th Earl of Harrington (1844-1917) of Elvaston Castle, who succeeded to the title in 1881. A keen foxhunter, the following year he acquired the South Notts Hunt and it remained in his hands (and known by his name) until his death. Although there are records of South Nottinghamshire being hunted in the 17th and 18th century, the present Hunt of that name dates back to its re-establishment by John Chaworth-Musters of Annesley Hall in 1860. The area covered straddles the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border and extends some 14 miles north to south by 30 miles east to west, encompassing Nottingham, Newark, Bingham, Ilkeston and Belper. The hounds have at different times been kennelled at Annesley, Wiverton, Thurgarton, Elvaston, Gedling and Epperstone. Although the original of this view is badly degraded, it is included here for its historic interest.