This image cannot be used commercially
Royal Visit to Ilkeston, 1914
25 June 1914
About this image
On 25 June 1914 King George V and Queen Mary made a royal visit to Ilkeston. This scene shows the temporary dais constructed for the occasion fronting the Town Hall in the Market Place, and close examination reveals the King and Queen descending the steps to the waiting cars. As part of the visit the King opened the new Ilkeston Secondary School on King George Avenue, albeit remotely by pressing a button in the Market Place that swung open the school gates half a mile away. A detonation at the School was heard by the crowds and this confirmed the gates had moved. Today, the 1914 royal visit is commemorated by a stained glass window in St Mary's Church on the opposite side of the Market Place.