This image cannot be used commercially
St John Ambulance Brigade members, Ilkeston, c 1910 ?
c 1910 ?
Manor Ground ?
About this image
A group of St John Ambulance Brigade members, possibly at the Manor Football Ground, off Manor Road. A stretcher and other equipment is displayed in readiness for any emergency - a bag or box on the stretcher is labelled 'Ilkeston & District Corps'. The St John Ambulance Association was formed in 1877 by the charitable Order of St John of Jerusalem so that ordinary people could be trained to provide first aid. This ensured that accident victims could be treated quickly and on the spot. The movement was particularly strong in areas - such as Ilkeston - that were dominated by the railway and mining industries. From 1887 trained volunteers were organised into uniformed brigades in order to supply organised ambulance services at public events and were the first and only service of this type well into the 20th century. The Brigade employed a hierarchy based on the British Army officer and other ranks structures and all but one of the individuals shown here are of sergeant or corporal ranking. Although badly deteriorated, this view is included because of its historic interest.