About this image
Ilkeston Corporation tramcar No 4 standing in front of the Wesleyan chapel on Corporation Road. Ilkeston's electric tramway system had opened in 1903, being the first such in Derbyshire, but consistently lost money. In 1916 it was sold by the Corporation to the Notts & Derby Tramways Company who operated the neighbouring tramway linking Nottingham, Eastwood, Heanor and Ripley. Nevertheless, the 3ft 6in gauge Ilkeston system remained physically separate for the remainder of its existence, closing in 1931. There were three routes (totalling 3.78 miles), serving Cotmanhay, Ilkeston Junction station, and Hallam Fields, the single track along Corporation Road forming part of the latter. The tram fleet comprised 13 vehicles (reduced after 1916 to eight), all four-wheeled with open tops. No 4 was one of the initial batch of nine, constructed by the Electric Railway & Tramway Carriage Works Ltd of Preston in 1902, and seated 22 passengers inside and 26 on top. The livery was maroon and cream. Although the original of this photo has deteriorated, it is included here for its historic interest.