This image cannot be used commercially
River Trent at Trentlock, c 1900s ?
c 1900s ?
About this image
The River Trent at Trentlock, looking south-east. The photographer is standing on the bridge that marks the junction of the Erewash Canal with the river. Diverging to the left in the middle distance is the Cranfleet Cut or Canal, which allows boats to bypass a weir on the Trent and re-enters the river about 0.75 mile downstream. Barely discernible on the extreme right is the confluence of the River Soar with the Trent. The two-storey wooden building in the centre is the club house belonging to the Trent Valley Sailing Club and was built in 1906. The Club was established 20 years earlier and still exists today, being one of the oldest inland sailing clubs in the country. In the background is the ridge comprising Red Hill and Wood Hill and in front of this is the viaduct carrying the Midland Railway main line from Derby and Nottingham to Leicester and London. This pierces the ridge via the twin Redhill (sic) Tunnels, the castellated portals of which can be picked out in the right distance. Very little in this scene has changed today.