This image cannot be used commercially
Stainsby House Prior to Demolition, Main Road, Smalley, 1972
Ernest A Smith
Smith, Ernest A
About this image
Showing the front door and conservatory. Located to the west of the village. It is usually recorded as being in Horsley Woodhouse parish, but it was only a stone's throw from the centre of Smalley. The Sitwells who lived there since 1785 seem to have been very much part of Smalley life and were patrons of Smalley Church. Stainsby House (sometimes called Stainsby Hall) was a Roman Catholic school during the war. The old house was demolished in 1971-72 and replaced by a Spanish-style ranch.