This image can be used commercially
The Fox House Inn, Longshaw 1921
Brackenbury, John Hartley
About this image
Originally called The Travellers Rest and part of the Longshaw Estate, The Fox House was named after Mr Fox of Callow Farm in Highlow; it dates back to 1773 and the building was extended by The Duke of Rutland, the landlord in the 1840's.
A quarter plate photograph by John Hartley Brackenbury from Sheffield.
This comes from a set of 14 photographs of Derbyshire, copied by Austin Brackenbury in 2008/9, direct from an album prepared by his parents in 1921. They are a collection following a visit from America of his mother's brother, Albert Berwick and his American wife; Albert was in the American Army. For reasons unknown, the album was never sent to Mr and Mrs Berwick and remained in the possession of Austin's parents.
The photographer used a quarter plate camera on tripod, using the traditional black cloth to focus the image on the ground glass screen, getting someone else to press the release if he wanted to appear in the photograph himself.