This image cannot be used commercially
Great Longstone 2nd Cricket Team, The Recreation Ground, Great Longstone, 1982
The Recreation Ground
About this image
A young 2nd team playing in the Derbyshire Yorkshire League. From left to right: Richard Bramwell, Ian Collin, Rupert Trippett, John Fawcett, Charles Collin, Chris Barnes, Mike Maycock, John Frankland, Ken Fawcett, Duncan Finney, Terry Lee.
In about 1860 cricket started to be played in Great Longstone. The first secretary was George Ward at about this time. This is mentioned in The Longstone Records by G T Wight in 1904; in the book there is a photo of a Junior team dated 1884. This book is now very rare but it is accepted that the club was permanently formed in 1874, and has played continually since then, except the war years, up to the present day.
The Wards played a large part in the club over the years as players and benefactors.On the 29th September 1921 George James Furness donated the playing field and on 1st March 1961 Charles George Ward donated more ground. In 2006 Mary Ward bequeathed money which was used to extend the pavilion.