About this image
Back row, left to right: Roy Finney, Frank Ward, Albert Wager, Bill Bowers, Bob McGraw, Horice Gundry, Mr West, Cyril Thorpe, Albert Woodhouse, Barry Bright.
Front row, left to right: Don Frankland, Andrew Bowers, John Longden, Bill Oliver, Harold Thorpe, Godfrey Frankland.
This picture was taken in front of the newly completed pavilion which has now been converted into the tea room.
In about 1860 cricket started to be played in Great Longstone. The first secretary was George Ward at about this time. This is mentioned in The Longstone Records by G T Wight in 1904; in the book there is a photo of a Junior team dated 1884. This book is now very rare but it is accepted that the club was permanently formed in 1874, and has played continually since then, except the war years, up to the present day.
The Wards played a large part in the club over the years as players and benefactors.On the 29th September 1921 George James Furness donated the playing field and on 1st March 1961 Charles George Ward donated more ground. In 2006 Mary Ward bequeathed money which was used to extend the pavilion.