This image can be used commercially
Engine house of Waterloo Colliery, Whaley Bridge, 1976
D D Brumhead
Brumhead, D D
About this image
This structure is believed to have been the winding engine house for the upcast shaft of Waterloo Colliery with the short crenellated chimney projecting from the roof being part of the mine's ventilation system. The building was given Listed status in 1977 for its prominence as a 'local landmark' and was subsequently renovated to form part of a dwelling. The photographer is here looking west down Bings Road towards the site of the main part of the mine, which was located on land between Old Road and Buxton Road.
Waterloo Colliery was sunk in 1815 by Thomas Guy Gisbourne and for much if its early history was known locally as Gisbourne's Pit (that Waterloo was always its official name would seem to be suggested by the fact that its year of establishment coincided with the Battle of Waterloo). In the 1850s it was acquired by the Buxton Lime Company and continued to operate until final closure in 1911. Latterly it worked the Yard Seam at 127 yards, although shallower seams such as the Big Smut, Red Ash, White Ash, and Gannister were also exploited. An unusual feature for a coal mine was the fact that the workings intercepted two lead veins (termed the Waterloo and the Horwich) and thus from 1822 to 1859 (and again briefly in 1876) considerable quantities of lead were also produced.