This image can be used commercially
Peacock Hotel, Bridge Street (A619), Bakewell, c 1980s
D D Brumhead
Brumhead, D D
Bridge Street (A619)
About this image
Built originally in 1819 as a hotel and coaching house to cater for the large number (650) of visitors to the town each week. Constructed and run by Mr Francis Machin from nearby Birchover, it also catered to the local cattle market and farmers, as the market was held in the grounds weekly. The Peacock takes its name from the crest of the local "Lord of the Manor", the Earls & Dukes of Rutland, who resided at nearby Haddon Hall. Innkeeper Mr Machin, along with his wife (Hannah) & 4 daughters (Harriet, Elizabeth, Ann & Betty) are now believed to haunt the inn itself and play mischievous games with the current residents if they are unhappy with them.