This image can be used commercially
Wall above Stodhart Tunnel on the Peak Forest Tramroad?, Chapel Milton, c 1980s
D D Brumhead
Brumhead, D D
About this image
Although not absolutely certain, this is believed to be the wall beside Hayfield Road above the southern portal of Stodhart Tunnel on the Peak Forest Tramroad with the photographer looking south-east towards Chapel-en-le-Frith.
The Peak Forest Tramroad (or Tramway) was a horse-worked plateway that connected quarries in the Dove Holes area with the head of the Peak Forest Canal at Buxworth (formerly Bugsworth). It was in operation from 1796 until the mid-1920s and included several significant engineering features including an inclined plane at Chapel-en-le-Frith and the tunnel at Stodhart. The latter took the tramway beneath Hayfield Road (the A624) and the grounds of Stodhart Lodge.