This image can be used commercially
Babington house, Cottage Hospital, Green Hill, Wirksworth, c 1900
About this image
Located a third of the way up Green Hill Babington House dates back to the 1630s. Built of semi-dressed coursed limestone with dressed gritstone featrues and a stone slate roof. From 1723-1829 it was used as a parish workhouse. In 1867 due to the efforts of Georgina Hurt and Dr William Webb, Wirksworth Cottage Hospital was established there and remained until 1928.
Seven beds were available to the inhabitants of the town. Dr Webb also attended to the sick in the town. Dr Frederick Treaves also spent time there when working in Wirksworth and later went on to improve treatment for appendicitis. For many years quarrymen contributed two pennies from their weekly wage as they has so many accidents, and this was a main source of income for the hospital. In 1928 the hospital moved to Waltham House in St John's Street.