This image can be used commercially
Heage Windmill, off School Lane, Nether Heage, c 2002
Keith R Clark
Clark, K R
off School Lane
About this image
The Heage Windmill, taken after its restoration by Derbyshire County Council.
The windmill, which was originally constructed in the 1790s, was rebuilt by George Chell, but with six sails instead of four to increase the power after a storm devastated the building in 1894. The windmill was again struck by lightning in 1961. A preservation order was placed upon the mill in 1966 by Derbyshire County Council, and is now a Grade II listed building. Thanks to a Heritage Lottery Grant the windmill was restored and in working order by 2002, and is cared for by the Heage Windmill Society.