This image can be used commercially
The Princess Royale, Oldham House, Wellington Street, Matlock, c 1940-41
Jean Margaret Caudwell
About this image
Oldham House Hydro was established in 1890. It was one of many hydropathic establishments on Matlock Bank in the later Victorian and Edwardian period when such treatments were fashionable. The largest was Smedley's Hydro which offered comprehensive water treatments. Many of the smaller establishments were simply hotels. Oldham House was later known as Woodlands and was eventually used by Matlock College of Education. Now, a century later, many of these buildings are finding a new lease of life, as apartments for single people.
Here the Princess Royale can be seen during her visit to the recently converted Rockside Hydro. During the second World War Rockside was used as an RAF psychiatric hospital.