About this image
In 1137, the Manor of South Normanton, which included the church, was given to Beauchief Abbey (situated between Alfreton and Sheffield), and this date is the one given for the church building in the village. This can reasonably be supposed to be the start of the records of the community, although there are very few other dates or details to be found anywhere for a further couple of hundred years. A list of rectors mounted on a plaque in the church building gives the dates of all the ministers of the parish from the thirteenth century, the first of whom is named as Adam Capelanus de Northmanton.
The church building is built in the decorated and perpendicular style with the structure being surmounted by an embattled western tower with pinnacles. The tower has a clock and six bells, the latter bearing dates ranging from 1654 to 1813. The inner church structure contains a chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, organ chamber and vestry with a south porch. In 1878, the church was extended to seat up to five hundred people, but neither the tower or the north aisle were touched and they remain original. The organ was installed in 1905 and had a complete overhaul in 1995. (information from www.southnormanton.com/churches)