Postcard showing various view of Haddon Hall and grounds, Haddon Road, Bakewell, 1906
About this image
Haddon Hall is one of the finest example of a medieval manor house currently in existence in England.
The hall is one of the seats of the Dukes of Rutland (Manners Family) and lies alongside the River Wye, just south of Bakewell. The Manners family inherited Haddon after John Manners, brother of the 2nd Earl of Rutland, married Dorothy one of the co-heiresses of Sir George Vernon 'King of the Peak', the last Vernon of Haddon Hall.
The Rutlands used the hall very little in the 18th and 19th centuries, so it was almost unaltered since the end of the 16th century when the 9th Duke realised its importance and began restoration in the 1920s.
The Vernons had lived at Haddon for four centuries. The present Duke of Rutland, Edward Manners, still owns the hall.
This postcard has nine views of Haddon Hall - Dorothy Vernon Walk, Garden, The Walk, The Terrace, Oriel Windows, The Terrace, The Steps, Dorothy Vernon Bridge and The Norman Tower.
See also image DCHQ002709.