This image can be used commercially
Frederick Arkwright's grave, St Mary's Church, off Mill Road, Cromford, c 1925
off Mill Road
About this image
The prominent grave is that of Frederick Arkwright.
St Marys church lies just below the mill, was built in 1797, and contains Richard Arkwrights tomb. Richard Arkwright designed, built and owned St Mary.
There had been a chapel on the site since at least 1504, probably much earlier. Arkwright had this demolished, as it was now in a rundown state. Work on a new church, intended as a family chapel, was begun shortly before his death in 1792. The church opened for services on 4 June 1797 and was consecrated on 20 September that year.
Arkwright’s son Richard later opened it up for public use.