This image cannot be used commercially
St Helen's Church, Darley Dale, 1880s-1890s
Relative of late BJ Taylor, Photographer
Taylor, Benjamin J
1880s - 1890s
About this image
The ancient Parish Church of St Helens at Darley Dale is dominated by an even more ancient and famous yew tree, one of the thickest in England, having a girth of around 33 feet, 4 feet from the ground. It is believed to be well over a 1000 years old. The church dates from the 12th century and contains monuments to Sir John de Darley who was Lord of the Manor over 600 years ago, and in the chancel, a Kneeling John Milward, his wife and their 11 children. John was a colonel in the Kings Army during the Civil War, and they lived at Smitherton Hall, a stone gabled Elizabethan house situated 2 miles from the church. (information from www.derbyshireuk.net)
The Taylor family lived in Park Lane, Sheffield and later moved to Sabine Hay, South Darley. This image is taken from an album of loaned photos from the family and can be seen from DCHQ007496 to DCHQ007535.