This image cannot be used commercially
Derwent Dams, Ladybower reservoir and Crook Hill, Bamford, Derbyshire, 1959
Maurice A Pouslon
About this image
Construction of the Ladybower Dam started in 1935 and continued throughout the years of World War 2 despite the difficulty of obtaining materials and labour. It involved the flooding of the villages of Derwent and Ashopton despite much controversy. Derwent Church had to undergo exhumation of it's graves for reburial at Bamford. The dam was completed in 1943 but it took 2 years to fill it. The church tower had been left intact and reappeared eerily above the waters in 1947 when the water level was low.
This image shows the water level down to it's lowest point since the dams were first filled. The remains fo the Derwent village are exposed for the first time and to walk in the ruins gave a strange feeling of sadness for those who had to leave for the benefit of the population of surrounding cities and towns.
The gateposts to the YHA (Youth Hostel Association) are still standing even if the building has gone! The YHA sign is still visible on the right hand post.