This image can be used commercially
2nd Floor Landing of Main Staircase, Smedley's Hydro, Smedley Street, Matlock, c 1900
Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment
About this image
The hydro was built in the mid 19th century by John Smedley, the heir to a hosiery business at Lea Mills. He founded the hydro after he was cured from Typhus Fever with a series of 'water treatments'. The hydro was extremely successful and was expanded in 1863 due to increasing demand.
The building now houses Derbyshire County Council Offices.