This image can be used commercially
Main Corridor, Ground Floor, Smedley's Hydro, Smedley Street, Matlock, c 1900
Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment
About this image
Part of the thrid stage of building, started in 1887. This is looking towards the Entrance Hall. Beyond the archway were the Private Drawing Room, the Manager's Office and the Matron's Office.
The hydro was built in the mid 19th century by John Smedley, the heir to a hosiery business at Lea Mills. He founded the hydro after he was cured from Typhus Fever with a series of 'water treatments'. The hydro was extremely successful and was expanded in 1863 due to increasing demand.
The building now houses Derbyshire County Council Offices.