This image can be used commercially
Drawing Room, Smedley's Hydro, Smedley Street, Matlock, c 1900
Smedley's Hydropathic Establishment
About this image
The portraits on wall are of Mr and Mrs Smedley. They were put in the drawing room in 1900.
The hydro was built in the mid 19th century by John Smedley, the heir to a hosiery business at Lea Mills. He founded the hydro after he was cured from Typhus Fever with a series of 'water treatments'. The hydro was extremely successful and was expanded in 1863 due to increasing demand.
The building now houses Derbyshire County Council Offices.