This image cannot be used commercially
Peveril Tower, Haddon Hall, Bakewell, c 1876
Haddon Road, A6
About this image
View of the upper side of Lower Courtyard, north-east angle with entrance to the Great Hall.
Haddon Hall is one of the finest example of a medieval manor house currently in existence in England. The hall is one of the seats of the Dukes of Rutland (Manners Family) and lies alongside the River Wye, just south of Bakewell. The Manners family inherited Haddon after John Manners, brother of the 2nd Earl of Rutland, married Dorothy one of the co-heiresses of Sir George Vernon 'King of the Peak', the last Vernon of Haddon Hall. The Rutlands used the hall very little in the 18th and 19th centuries, so it was almost unaltered since the end of the 16th century when the 9th Duke realised its importance and began restoration in the 1920s. The Vernons had lived at Haddon for four centuries. The present Duke of Rutland, Edward Manners, still owns the hall.