This image can be used commercially
Foston Hall Coat of Arms, Foston
Canon Derek Buckley Collection
Canon Derek Buckley
c mid 1960s
About this image
Foston Hall is now a closed female prison, but was originally the hunting estate of the Broadhurst family. The present Hall was built in 1863 but the estate is 14th century and many parts of the 17th century house remain. The Prison Service acquired the Hall and grounds in 1953. During its Prison Service history Foston Hall has been a Detention Centre, an immigration centre, and finally before its closure during 1996 a satellite of Sudbury prison. It was re-opened on the 31 July 1997, following major refurbishment and building work, as a closed female establishment.