This image can be used commercially
Altar, Scropton Church, Scropton
Canon Derek Buckley Collection
Canon Derek Buckley
c mid 1960s
About this image
Scropton is a parish in South Derbyshire comprising of the villages of Scopton and Foston. Scropton village, situated in the Dove Valley, was mentioned at Domesday as the largest of the 101 manors held by Henry de Ferrers in Derbyshire. The church of St Paul was completely rebuilt in 1855-56. It now has a prominent tower with a pyramid roof. The church contains the tomb chest of Nicholas Agard (died 1510) and his two wives. His son Arthur Agard (1540-1615) was an authority on ancient manuscripts and heraldry and a founder member of the Society of Antiquaries. He is buried at Westminster Abbey.