This image cannot be used commercially
Cat and Fiddle Windmill, Dale Abbey, 1982
Mrs M Smedley
Cat and Fiddle Lane
About this image
It is a wooden post mill originally built in 1788. A stone roundhouse at its base is surmounted by a wooden box-like structure that houses the machinery. It stopped working in 1952 when the last miller, George Smedley, died. This photograph shows Mary Smedley as she left the mill for the last time.