This image cannot be used commercially
Cat and Fiddle Windmill exterior, Dale Abbey, 1970s
Mrs M Smedley
Cat and Fiddle Lane
About this image
This is an aerial view of the windmill. It is a wooden post mill originally built in 1788. A stone roundhouse at its base is surmounted by a wooden box-like structure that houses the machinery. It stopped working in 1952 when the last miller, George Smedley, died. This photograph show the Stanton Estate workers who creosoted the body of the mill and painted the sails white. This was done every five years. 3rd from the left is K Whitehouse, 4th from left B Rue. Sitting at far right is Doug Truswell.