This image cannot be used commercially
Cat and Fiddle Windmill interior, Dale Abbey, 1967
Mrs M Smedley
Gregory, F W
Cat and Fiddle Lane
About this image
It is a wooden post mill originally built in 1788. A stone roundhouse at its base is surmounted by a wooden box-like structure that houses the machinery. It stopped working in 1952 when the last miller, George Smedley, died. This is an interior view of the mill showing the centre post that the mill turns on. The millstones are housed in the hexagonal wooden boxes to the left and right. The sack on the right is for ground flour. The chain is to hoist the sacks of grain through the trap door to be emptied into the hopper.