This image can be used commercially
Blast Furnaces, Morley Park
Geraldine Holland, Photographer
About this image
The two surviving blast furnaces from the Morley Park iron works, one dating from 1780, the other 1818. The Morley Park area, which had large deposits of ironstone, was home to the extensive iron works of John and Charles Mold, who had two blast furnaces, with steam engines of 300 horse power manufactured all kinds of iron work. They had also a large establishment at Alderwasley. The area was once a complex of coke ovens and iron casting sheds interconnected by a web of tramlines. There was a drift mine in the village (now a small housing estate ) and coal was mined at nearby Hartshay and taken on horse drawn barges along the Cromford Canal. The furnaces were built by Francis Hurt who lived at Alderwasley Hall who was the first in Derbyshire to exploit the technique of iron smelting. He was also responsible for the tower at Crich Stand amongst others.