This image can be used commercially
Gas powered bus, Crown Square, Matlock, c 1915
Donated by Mr C R Taylor
Kirby, W R
About this image
The photograph, which was taken by a W R Kirby, of Westcliffe on Sea, on a visit to Matlock in August 1917, shows a bus converted to allow petrol engines to run on Town Gas, which is chiefly hydrogen, during the fuel shortages of both world wars. The Gasbag was manufactured, supplied and patented by T.H. Barton OBE, The company was making a hundred of these a week for a period.
The bus, which has Hands Garage painted on the rear, is outside Stanley Fearn's cycle shop on Crown Square.