This image can be used commercially
Wesleyan Reform Church, Bakewell, c 1969
About this image
Built in 1867. Most boys from Bakewell learned woodwork in the Wesleyan Reform Chapel basement from the 1950s to 1971. The Boy's Secondary Modern School used the basement as a woodwork room until the school was closed when Lady Manners became a Comprehensive School and started to take all Bakewell's secondary school age children. On the left was Jessica's wool shop, the shop doorway is just visible, The Wesleyan Reform Chapel faces onto a very steep gennel which is always referred to as 'going up the Chimney'. It was one of the ways up from the town towards the old hill paths and Bakewell's open field system before enclosure in the early 1800s. (Additional information very kindly supplied by J Mather).