About this image
This picture appeared in the Matlock Mercury of 26 May 1951, submitted by a reader. The caption stated that it shows the Matlock Thursdays football team on its way to play Ashbourne. The gentleman with the top hat on the left is Mr 'Toddy' Clayton, the team mascot. The driver is Mr Harry Toplis. The other people named are Mr Walter Bowler, the courier, Mrs J Platts, Miss M Platts, E Knight, W Eldridge, T Anderson, P Statham, P Webster, C Mitchell. G Nesbitt, G Buckley and G Gregory.
The vehicle is a Belsize, which would have been made in Manchester, while its registration - R 1693 - was issued by Derbyshire County Council at some date between 1903 and 1923.
Although the print held by Matlock Local Studies Library has the year 1919 written on the back, the newspaper caption states that it was taken in 1912.