About this image
Photograph of White's School which was more often referred to as Taddington Church of England School to distinguish it from Wilkson's or Priestcliffe C of E School at the western end of the village. White's School was endowed by a rent charge on land left by Michael White who died in 1798. It was built in 1805 and extended in 1882 which can be seen to the left in this image. In 1926 the two village schools were amalgamated and White's School accommodated both sets of pupils while Priestcliffe School was enlarged. White's School was then used as an Evening Class Centre which mainly concentrated on carpentry. It was also often used as a venue for evening meetings and socials as it was more central than the Top School. The school house has since been converted into a pair of semi detached houses.