About this image
The railway station at Ambergate was notable in being one of only three stations in England to be arranged in a triangular fashion. This situation arose in 1876 when a new station was constructed within the triangular junction formed by the divergence of the Midland Railway's Derby to Leeds and Ambergate-Matlock-Manchester main lines. This view is looking north east from the station footbridge and shows the main station building on the left with the edge of the Up Manchester platform (Platform 2) just visible in the left foreground. Platforms 3 and 4 in the centre were used by trains to Sheffield and flanked the Ambergate Middle Curve. The latter was opened in 1876 and formed a loop off the Derby to Leeds line, which at this point is passing through the short Toadmoor Tunnel to the rear of the cottages (Midland Terrace) on the extreme right. The third side of the triangle (Platforms 5 and 6) is out of sight behind the station building, but the end of the platforms can just be discerned below the signals in the distance. Today, only a section of Platform 2 remains in use for trains between Derby and Matlock; the site of Platforms 3 and 4, which were taken out of use in 1968, has been infilled to form a car park. Indeed, apart from Midland Terrace, virtually all the other structures shown here have been obliterated.