This image can be used commercially
Shirland Colliery Pit Pony
About this image
One of the last Pit Ponies, Prince shown here with Mr. John Cheetham. The thick-leather helmet fitted around the pony's face provided protection whilst working underground in the dark, where head-height obstructions would be difficult to see. Shirland Colliery pit was sunk in 1864 and provided a major source of employment for the parish for the next century. By the end of the 19th century, some 500 miners were employed. The colliery was closed down on 28 May 1965. In 1972 Derbyshire County Council landscaped the area of the colliery. Taken from A History of Shirland & Higham by Gladwyn Turbutt, published 1978.