About this image
Shirland Colliery pit was sunk in 1864 and provided a major source of employment for the parish for the next century. By the end of the 19th century, some 500 miners were employed. The colliery was closed down on 28 May 1965. In 1972 Derbyshire County Council landscaped the area of the colliery. Taken from A History of Shirland & Higham by Gladwyn Turbutt, published 1978.