This image can be used commercially
St Leonard's Church Interior View
About this image
Taken from A History of Shirland & Higham by Gladwyn Turbutt, published 1978. 'The church of St. Leonard, consists of a fine diagonally buttressed and pinnacled west tower, nave and side aisles with embattled parapets, square-headed windows and south porch and chancel (with modern vestries and organ chamber on the north side built in 1909). It is clear that the tower, nave and side aisles have all been built at the same period in conventional late Perpendicular style (c. 1500) the chancel however, is of an earlier date and it may be assumed that it is part of the original church built c.1220 by Sir John de Grey. The church was restored in 1848.