This image cannot be used commercially
Lady Cockayne's Walk, grounds of Ashbourne Hall
Hans P Hansen
Grounds of Ashbourne Hall
About this image
Lady Cockayne's Walk was an avenue of trees which skirted the grounds of Ashbourne Hall (now Ashbourne Library) parallel with the Green Road, although the walk itself was not visible from the road. The Hall was occupied by the Cockayne family from c12 - c17 when it passed into the hands of the Boothby family. Mr. R. F. Frank became owner in 1861 and on the death of his widow in 1898, the estate was sold to William Holland. The walk was destroyed just before the First World War when the land was broken up. H P Hansen was a Norwegian photographer who married a member of the Haycock family (clockmakers) of Ashbourne. He had a studio in Ashbourne for some years around 1906-1916 and later moved to Bramcote Hills near Nottingham.