This image can be used commercially
Primrose Cottage, St. John's Road, Matlock, 1930s
St Johns Road
About this image
Home of the Ellis family. It was later much extended. This photo may have been from around the early 1940's. Three of the flowering pear trees can be seen on this side of the A6 wall and appear to be well established, but they were planted in mid-April 1937. Also in the photo is a road sign which was a speed derestriction sign. It cannot have been erected until after the Chairman of the Matlock Magistrates comment (reported in the Matlock Visitor 23 April 1938) that in view of the magnificent new road he could see no reason for continuing to maintain the 30 mph restriction between Greatorex's Quarry and the bottom of Holme Road.