This image can be used commercially
North Midland Railway - view through the Belper cutting looking North
About this image
George Stevenson was responsible for the routing of the North Midland Railway through Belper in 1838. There is a deep cutting which is lined with dressed stone running right through the town and there are 10 bridges closely spaced which were used to connect the existing roads and terraced houses. The railway station was opened in 1878.