About this image
Legh Master Esq was the owner of the remains at the time this engraving was made. Codnor Castle is a 13th century stone keep and bailey fortress, founded by William Peveril. It is one of only two such early-medieval castles in Derbyshire (the other being Peveril Castle at Castleton). Once the home of the Grey and Zouch families. Henry Grey, a philosopher and alchemist, obtained from the credulous Edward IV, a license to practice the transmutation of metals (hoping to turn them into gold!). The castle fell into decay when the Zouch's sold the castle in 1634. The present fragmentary remains represent a three storey keep and a strong curtain wall and ditch, flanked by round towers. The lower outer bailey is of a later date. Codnor Castle is located east of Codnor, at Castle Farm off Castle Lane on the Codnor-Stoneyford border. It was built at a strategic point at the top of the ridge which runs to the west of the River Erewash, and has views over the Erewash Valley to its east and Heanor and Codnor to its south and west. (There is an interesting web-site showing pictures of it taken in the 1960's at www.jacksdale.org.uk).