About this image
St John the Evangelist dates from 1826-27, and is by Francis Goodwin and was built in a style similar to Kings College Chapel, Cambridge. An apsidal chancel was added in 1871, by Giles. Pevsner describes it thus: 'Ashlar-faced parallelogram with aisles and galleries. Tall coupled side windows with a geometrical cast-iron tracery; tall entrance niche. No tower, but four angle-turrets and odd pinnacles with far-projecting castellated tops.'