About this image
The Butterley Forge and Wagon works was a vast industrial site which followed the course of the Cromford Canal from the village of Stoneyford all the way to Golden Valley. It was for many years the largest coal, iron and engineering concern in the East Midlands. The Company had been trading in nearby Ripley since 1790 as Benjamin Outram and Co, changing their name to The Butterley Company in 1809, a name which was to become world-renowned. They were responsible for the creation of the industrial 'model village' of Ironville, providing workers' cottages, school, church and even a Mechanics Institute. The company's first Iron Furnace was built at Codnor Park in 1797. The iron Foundry at Jacksdale was completed by 1818 and produced high quality non-corrosive iron chiefly for anchor chains, floating harbours, lightships, bridges and railways. Over the last 200 years the company diversified, incorporation a steelworks, coal mining, quarrying, railway, foundry, and brickworks. One of the early, and most well known, examples of the work of the company includes the graceful arched roof of St. Pancras Station in London. Also notable is the steel viaduct at Millers Dale in Derbyshire and the Godavari Bridge in India, 9,096 feet long. The company still survives to the day in the guise of Butterley Engineering , Butterley Brick and Butterley Aggregates (now all separate companies). A recent major achievement was the design and construction of the Falkirk Wheel, a spectacular canal boat lift funded by the Millennium Commission. Butterley reservoir was constructed to feed water to Cromford Canal and is now the haunt of wildfowl and fishermen and can be seen today from the trains which operate from The Midland Railway Centre, nearby.