About this image
The Domesday survey of 1087 calls the parish 'Braidshale' and mentions the presence of a church with priest and a mill worth 13s. 4d. The present building has undergone many changes over the years, but substantial portions of its very varied past still exist. The oldest section is in the South door area which probably dates from about 1150. The door archway is of typical Norman style, where traces of carving remain - in particular a tree and a cock reminding Christians of Adam's fall and Peter's denial. The size and quality of the doorway would seem to indicate that the Normans replaced the Saxon church mentioned in Domesday with a building of some style and significance. The South porch is probably Early English and dates from around 1250.(The South porch and Norman doorway is not in use at the present time). Substantial rebuilding took place in the 13th century when the present chancel and tower were constructed in the Early English style, and a north aisle added. Further changes were made around 1360 when new windows were installed on the south side of the chancel and nave in the Decorated Style. A spire was added and the eastern section of the aisle extended northwards. In the mid 15th century the present east window was installed and the north aisle completed in the Perpendicular style. Repairs and alterations took place during the 19th century, mostly to roof and woodwork. On 4 June 1914 some Boy Scouts were camping outside Breadsall church when they saw flames coming from inside. The fire brigade took an hour to get there and by the time they arrived the church was gutted. Suffragettes were blamed for the fire. Five churches had been similarly attacked and there was known to be what the authorities thought of as an active 'cell' of militant suffragettes. Nothing was ever proven - in fact only a hatpin was found. Breadsall church was restored at a cost of £11,000 and the work was completed within two years.