About this image
George Herbert Strutt (1854-1928) of the local mill owning family donated the River Gardens for the recreation of the people of Belper in 1904. He lived in Belper at the family home Bridge Hill House and at Makeney House and Brailsford Hall. He was active in Belper affairs and also donated a school in 1909, public baths including a swimming pool in 1910 and the Memorial Gardens in 1922. The Belper river gardens have flower beds, Arboretum, Bandstand, Water gardens, children's play area and a boating lake. The Swiss Tea House was re-roofed with tile in winter 1906-7 thus the earliest date of picture.