This image can be used commercially
Rutland Arms Hotel, Bakewell
Rutland Arms Hotel
About this image
The proprietor at this time was Ernest Wood. Rutland Square was created in 1904, and the Rutland Arms erected to replace the White Horse Inn. Built of stone it is of five bays, with a Tuscan Doric porch and a one-bay extension to the rear. Jane Austen stayed here in 1811 and in Pride and Prejudice she has Elizabeth Bennet stopping here to meet the Darcys and Mr Bingley. However the Rutland Arms' chief claim to fame is as the place where the Bakewell Pudding was invented by a chef of 1859 who made a mistake.