About this image
This is Derby's oldest public house, It's first licence was issued in 1580, but the much altered, timber-framed, gabled building dates back to around 1530. A corridor in the Inn was once a street! Due to its great antiquity, it has various ghosts associated with it including a blue lady who walks through the old lath and plaster walls. She has been seen by many customers in the pub and also in the tea rooms upstairs. The most intriguing part of the Dolphin is its 18th-century extension on the left-hand side of the building in Full Street. This was not always part of the Dolphin, being originally a doctor's house, wherein he dissected bodies, using criminals who had been hung, (but, it is said, were not always dead!) A particular incident of this kind apparently happened in the cellar under the doctor's house, which is now part of the Dolphin. One morning, so we are led to believe, our doctor came eagerly down into the cellar after a body had been delivered. He pulled the body on to a table and ripped the shroud from it, only to find life still present. No one knows what happened - whether the doctor died from shock; whether the person died; or the doctor in fact plunged his scalpel into the body; or even if the person recovered - but many bodies were dissected in that cellar under the Dolphin, and to this day it is haunted by a poltergeist which turns the taps of the beer kegs off in that part of the cellar. The pub today is renowned for it's 'Real Ales' and Beer Festivals.