About this image
The tall spire of St Oswald's Church, rising to 212ft above the houses of the village. St Oswald was a popular Anglo Saxon saint who became king of Northumbria in635 and brought St Aiden from Iona to Lindisfarne; their efforts were largely responsible for the conversion of that kingdom and the foundation of the Northumbrian church. The church consists of a nave and south aisle, crossing with crossing tower and spire, transepts with aisles as wide as the transepts and a long chancel. A church has stood here, possibly of the same size since Saxon times. A norman crypt was found during excavations in 1913.