About this image
The Cathedral, formerly known as All Saints Church, comprises of a succession of building styles. There has been a church on the site for over 1,000 years (from about 943). It has a 16th century tower, 18th century nave, 20th century retro-choir. The west tower, 212 feet high and standing right on the street, must be one of the finest creations of late Perpendicular Gothic (1510-1530, by a mason who had worked at King's College, Cambridge). The nave was designed by James Gibbs and completed in 1725. Following elevation (in 1927) to cathedral status the apsed retro-choir extension, designed by Sebastian Comper, was opened in 1972. The tomb of Bess of Hardwick who died in 1607 is an important relic from the mediaeval church. The most striking item of furnishing from the 18th century period is the wrought-iron screen by local iron-smith, Robert Bakewell.